What's that hooting and groaning, as though distant Scottish pipers were sneaking up on you? It's a large tartan... a kind of kilted...a sort of person made of different clans, all scrambled up with screeching and skirling sounds, gliding up behind you with dark intention....

Carapace Burlesque is a 2 metre tall sculpture made from recycled kilts. It is remotely controlled by Stephanie Douet, and has a nasty bagpipe soundtrack by Tudor Lukies choking and gurgling under its crinoline. Mark Wrighton makes the radio-controlled part.







Tuesday 21 September 2010

Carapace, the Carnivalesque and London fashion Week

I realise I put a facetious account of my thinking behind this sculpture because I was up to HERE with making it and I now want to say something more accurate.

but not yet....

I'm getting it ready for another outing tomorrow - the fear-inducingly fashionable Hospital Club in Covent Garden, where we will be at the Wolf & Badger Graduate Design Awards as part of London's Fashion Week.

I've just spent 2 hours with wondrous technician MARK WRIGHTON who has sorted out the latest technical screw-up - at some point when CB was wandering around 7 Dials the heavy CD unit thumped onto the delicate servos, wrenching them from their fairy-size holdings. Mark INGENIOUSLY wrests success from disater and gets us on the road again.

1 comment: